So what started as Alan and I going for an after-work pint to kick off the long weekend and to talk about my trip turned into a bit of a drinks fest which left me walking home at midnight through some dodgy parts of town. (Seriously, who decided on orange streetlights? It's like a freaking horror movie in my neighbourhood at night!)

We went to Scotland Yard, one of the quieter pubs on The Esplanade, and sat in the library. Over the course of the evening I had a chance to explore some of the books behind me, and I happened upon The Velvet Doublet by James Street. Intrigued, I opened it to a random page and read:

"I am glad I cried. Women like tears, as I was to learn, and mine overflowed and she was pleased and hugged me, and we both cried. I wiped her tears on the soft cuff of my doublet."

Jana, we are so going to get our story published. In the very least for display in the library at Scotland Yard.

Now, If I could only remember where I left my car. . . .

2 Comments:

  1. G said...
    My dear, I'm a little confused and taken aback at the reading of your post. So much so that I retired to my boudoir with a dose of Horrock's Specificke and some smelling salts. How I wish Sir E- were here... I know he would offer me the soft cuff of his doublet to dab my tear-filled eyes. Cheesy... I can't think what you mean. But yes, ere you turn another year in your illustrious existence, we mustneeds finish our oeuvre! When did you start drinking in public? And at Scotland Yard no less? I trust your companion was no less than a Chief Inspector. They are fine companions and excellent protectors of wilful women. As for parambulating the orange-hued streets at night, I am quite overcome at the idea of it. Do you not know the ruffians that lurk and loiter in each hidden alleyway and doorway? Oh... my vapours... [THUD].
    Jen Star said...
    (Good grief.)

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2007| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.